Tuesday, August 11, 2009

JDS or J.D.S.

If you mistake the letters JDS as being somewhat the same thing as JDL, then you are sadly mistaken.The latter refers to the JEWISH DEFENSE LEAGUE, while the former refers to 'everyone's favorite author'! Probably this topic, as usual, will be more about myself than about JDS himself,but a recent article in NEW HAMPSHIRE MAGAZINE (go to WRITERS' CRAMP for details) prompted me to make mention and I am placing this topic in several of my blogs,including this one,YANKEE BOYHOOD and HAPHAZARD HAUNTINGS & OTHER ODDITIES, for surely the person described in the article appears to be 'an oddity in himself' or an oddity when compared to others except J. Paul Getty, Howard Hughes, Krishnamurti, and some obscure Tibetan Lamas in the Himalayas. JDS arrived in Cornish, NH, during the 1950's and made the pages of the Claremont DailyEagle and also LIFE MAGAZINE,shortly afterwards. JDS had allowed a high school girl to interview him for her school paper and, of course, it went from there into a sort of sensational story of sorts. Since that time,occasional things have cropped up concerning some of which I have read about now and then. My late classmate, BONES, a lifelong Cornish native/resident save for a few journies elsewhere,sometimes encountered "JERRY" who would,in a gesture of passing civility,wave or nod silently. But the unwritten Code of Cornish peopleis/was there-namely-not to impinge on or to invade his particular and perhaps,peculiar privacy,which extendsquite often to others who are not celebrities or less well-known,famed or notorious. It's 'mind your own business' of the taciturn Yankee, perhaps. Especially, when it comes to what are now termed, 'Uppity Flatlanders'. The magazine also contains an acocunt by Ed Bennett, former EAGLE TIMES publisher, who has now opted for the PEACE CORPSwhich I find a bit ironic since during the Viet Nam War in the late sixties,early seventies, I wrote, and had some published,to that paper, criticizing his editorials,etc. to perhaps this extent,though I have no real proof of such, but someone told me when I asked what happened to him,etc., that:"he thought you were out to get him' and this was proffered as oen reason, perhaps among many others, that he gave up the EAGLE TIMES and left town for Vermont. I don't really know. The point is, that I was an ex-PCV at the time I wrote these letters and after that I returned to the Philippines in 1972, just after Marcos declared Martial law, by actually emigrating there and lived there for eight years.

No comments:

Post a Comment